Thursday, March 1, 2007

Let Down Your Nets


In Luke 5, Jesus told Simon Peter to push his boat out into the deep water and let his nets out for a catch. Simon agreed, but you can hear the serious doubt in his voice. "Master, we've been fishing all night and haven't even caught a minnow. But if you say so..."

Just because Simon doubted his Master's ability, doesn't mean he failed to obey Him when instructed to take action. These last couple of years in seminary have been very important in my relationship with the Master. When I came to KC, I thought I had so many of life's answers, and seminary would teach me how to put my thoughts into action. But to my surprise, that hasn't been the case at all. Somewhere along the way, I discovered that my little, boxed-in god whom my family and I brought with us to the Midwest is much bigger than I ever imagined. My days of listening to radio sermons and reading the latest books on pop-theology didn't really prepare me for what I encountered these past few years as a student. The pragmatic god of self-help and rational, practical answers has transformed Himself into the God of mystery and radical self-revelation. Don't get me wrong... since the time I was born again as an adult, I worshipped God with holy reverence and fear... but as I have read countless books and written countless papers and studied too late and spent all my money (and then some) trying to finish my theological education... something real and tangible has been infused into my understanding of God's holy character. Frankly, I was kind of scared that seminary would take away my fire and passion for Jesus Christ, but ultimately my experience has been quite the contrary... Rather, He has become more real to me than ever before. The more I learn about Him - and the way He chooses to interact with His creation, the more motivated I am to trust that I was made to serve His purposes, not the other way around.

Let down your nets for a catch... - Now that I'm just a few weeks from graduating, and the reality of pastoring a church - that is, being the lead pastor, the visionary, etc. - the doubt of Simon Peter is beginning to surface in my own heart. Lord, I've been fishing for a long time now, and haven't caught anything. I have been an associate pastor at a small church in Kansas City for five long years, and it's still a small... very, very small church. What makes me think I'll have any more success in another place if I haven't experienced much success where I've already been endeavoring to serve You day after day?

Let down your nets for a catch... - The church we're called to pastor has already failed at least once in its desire and attempt to turn the world upside down for Christ. Why should it be any different for us? Though I don't know all the details, surely this church started out with hopes and dreams of being a place of refuge for hurting souls, a place of revelation for those seeking God, and a place of meaning and purpose for those hungry for the presence of God. What makes me think we could do any better? What's so special about us? That's easy... Nothing whatsoever.

Master,
I've been fishing all night and haven't even caught a minnow. But if you say so... - Maybe it's not that I have such great gifts or special talents... but because I've come to recognize my weakness and inability to do the impossible. Perhaps being aware of your weaknesses and shortcomings is as important as being aware of your talents and strengths. I don't know why Jesus chose Simon the fisherman to follow Him. Certainly it wasn't because of Simon's great ability to think before he spoke. Certainly it wasn't because of Simon's unwavering faith. Certainly it wasn't because of Simon's unceasing prayer... remember his nap in the Garden of Gethsemane? Perhaps it happened, not because he was bulletproof, but because he was willing... Not because he was perfect, but because he was moldable. Simon failed numerous times, and too often he stuck his foot in his mouth. But one thing he had going for himself... Even when he doubted, he obeyed his Master. He may have been shaking his head when he did it, but he let down his nets when Jesus told him to. And the result was astonishing. This is from The Message: It was no sooner said than done—a huge haul of fish, straining the nets past capacity. They waved to their partners in the other boat to come help them. They filled both boats, nearly swamping them with the catch.

Hmmm... Isn't it cool what God can do when He has a humble and willing - even if a little doubtful - servant who decides to obey His will? May we all learn the art of fishing for women and men... from our good friend and fellow disciple, Simon Peter.
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church.

No comments: