Sunday, April 22, 2007

In Response to a Concerned Friend in Christ

This was my response to a concerned friend who was trying to understand my foul mood this afternoon. I believe it's self explanatory, and probably offensive to some:

Don't' worry, I'm still a Christian... More so than ever! But if you're curious enough to investigate, you'll find that the postmodern movement is far more than fluff. I don't want to threaten your faith, but if you want to talk it over over coffee sometime or a few times, I'll always be open. Frankly, we may just have to agree to disagree. Some Christians (young and old) embrace postmodernism, and many simply reject it - they don't trust what they believe it has to say to modern Christians... and consequently they think it's leading the Church down a path straight to hell.

I love the Church, but have long thought that something about it is incomplete, lifeless... essentially, something is broken about church, and I believe it somehow needs to be "fixed." The postmodern movement (though far from perfect) has a lot to say to the 21st Century American church to knock it back on its heels a little... and frankly, that angers some people, so they rail against the evils of postmodernism, and/or the emergent church. That happened to me today, and I still don't know if I'm more offended, angry or sad! Most of these people have never actually read or studied the movement - other than reacting to the out-of-context soundbytes they've heard - and what they hear threatens their understanding of "Truth." So, mostly out of ignorance and fear they reject it (and try to incite other Christians to do so as well).

My take is this: Okay, so read a book or two that explains the viewpoint. You may read about it, listen to what they're saying, and THEN if you don't like it, go ahead and reject the message. But if you haven't done your homework - if you're just reacting to here say and listening to radio preachers tell you how evil it is - then you really don't have a legitimate right to gripe about it. Yes, I'm still the same old Jeff, but I've been shaped by a seminary level education.

Some people think that's the problem... After all, Christians ought to just read the Bible (The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it)! You've seen the bumper stickers... They have an anti-intellectual view.
Others think a seminary education gives a person the right to be superior and speak down to the "little people" who live in ignorance... But those folks are out of touch and just plain arrogant.

Quite honestly, I don't' believe I'm evil because I've worked my tail off to learn how to think theologically, nor do I think I'm superior to anyone. I do think I've learned a lot that can serve to help people who are living in darkness, and desperately want their lives to mean something. I don't have time to argue with whiny Christians who think postmodernism is the work of the devil. I want to spend my life living in grace-filled community that exists to help unbelievers recognize the goodness and grace of God... I don't think I need to constantly threaten them with the horrors of hell... 'cause the reality is, they're so worried about next week and next month that most of them don't even care at ALL about the next life.

And besides, deep down they already know that something is deeply, seriously wrong anyway. They don't need to be brow-beaten, they need to be given hope. And YES, they need to be made aware that life apart from God has terrible consequences - now and forever - but for goodness sake... spare me the 1950's legalistic, manipulative garbage that makes people develop an image of God the Father as horrible and evil. And yet, if we quit cussing, and dancing with the opposite sex, we can know that Jesus is the good guy who'll punch our ticket to heaven! All we have to do is make the logical decision to believe in Him (and of course, repeat the sinner's prayer).

That may be the paradigm in some modern circles, but from my perspective it doesn't have much connection to the gospel. Did Jesus ever do an alter call? Did Paul ever lead anyone through Evangelism Explosion? Did Peter ever lead someone through the four spiritual laws? Moses could have learned so much from Aristotle!


I hate to break it to you, but it goes a whole "hell" of a lot deeper than that... Jesus didn't come to save America... or save individuals only... or even to thump those unbelievers (or postmoderns) who reject God... He came bring reconciliation between God and ALL of His creation... ALL of humanity. He came to offer hope to the helpless... He came to dine with sinners, and tell them of His Father's love. He came to sanctify humanity... not just our bad behavior, but our corporate brokenness and mortality and desperate-ness.

Okay... that's enough of a sermon for now... read the papers [perhaps I'll post these later] and then we'll talk if you still want to :-) Of course, the they're not nearly deep enough... you'd be amazed at the volumes of books on what was accomplished in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. In the midst of all this, I for one am impressed at what the postmodern movement has to offer to the ongoing conversation. So ya, read some books if you want to keep going down a road to new discovery... but don't worry, I won't be offended if you won't or can't stomach it my "emerging" beliefs about doing church.

Frankly, I'm not changing back to my old fundamentalist theology of yesteryear... and besides, I'll guarantee you that - like it or hate it - postmodernism (or whatever it comes to be known as) is the future of the world and the church... so we can stay in the "good old days" of the past (or present) where it's safe, or step forth into the fearful darkness by faith in the God who continues to write His story of grace through His Church. Either way, I'm sure we'll get our ticket to heaven punched (grin).


Jeff

4 comments:

bub said...

Wow, Pastor "J". You really got fired up today. So you're really passionate about this stuff. That's a good thing I think. I wish more people were grounded in what they truly believed and were that passionate about it. Seems to me that we can learn a lot from the past, present and future, which is what I believe you'd say too. Yep...the world's a-changin' but the gospel isn't. I wonder if Jesus is afraid of post-modernism...hmmm....

Jeff said...

Ha, ya, I got a little fired up, but I had my reasons. Your last line sounds like a good title for a book, "Is Jesus Afraid of Postmodernism?"

I dunno... Is Jesus sad that Christians are too busy rippping on each other to effectively change the world with His story?

Shawna Atteberry said...

I absolutely agree. And Jesus did more ministry eating in sinners' houses than he did sitting in the synagogue too. :)

Eric Wright said...

Wow! You are beginning to sound like me. I hope I am not the reason you are now going to hell. I still remember the "discussions" that took place after the Brian Mclaren conference. That was everything you just described and more.