Sunday, April 1, 2007

Answers

I think I blew it the other night with my brother-in-law and his wife. I recently spent some time at their home and enjoyed several days of their warm and wonderful hospitality. One night, just before leaving, we were all talking with another friend of theirs (a pastor's wife), and the subject of witnessing came up. Now it wasn't exactly what I believe about witnessing - to me it sounded a whole lot more like selling cars than shining with the light of Christ in the darkness. Nevertheless, I behaved quite well, managing not to say anything too controversial. However, the point was then raised that the reason it's so difficult to witness to others is because if the (witnessee) brings up a hard question, everyday Christians often don't know the answers.

The pastor's wife, certain that the Bible holds the answers to any and all questions pertaining to life, suggested that if she were witnessing to another person and they asked her a question she couldn't answer, she'd simply tell them she'd look up the answer and get back with them... in fact, better yet they could join her and look it up with her, because surely the answers are there in that book somewhere.


Wow. Try as I might to refrain myself... finally I had to engage with her. Do you mean to tell me that you think the Bible has all the answers to life... kind of like a Teacher's Edition math book with all the answers at the back? Her answer... "Yes, absolutely...but of course they're not necessarily at the back of the book." Against my better judgment, I continued... So whatever problems I have going on at a given time, I can just turn to the Bible and it will tell me how to deal with it...? "Yes... of course it does... And that's why everyone should read and study it every day, to get the answers they need."


So, in my infinite wisdom, I forged ahead... I told them wow, that hasn't exactly been my experience with God's Word. In fact, that view of the Bible seems rather impersonal and individualistic... more American than biblical. I agree a lot of answers to our deepest questions are found there, but the Bible was never meant to be reduced to a mere science book or magic 8-ball. By this time, all eyes were on me... and everyone looked at me as if I had just stripped off all my clothes and began singing AC/DC's "Highway to Hell at the top of my lungs."

In fact, I continued, our individualistic demands of God can lead us astray more than you might think. When everyone studies the Bible exclusively on their own (usually with the aid of study notes and AM radio preachers)... the need for doing church... that is, gathering in the community of God's people... begins to fade. In fact, I'm convinced that church attendance in much of America has been reduced to meeting together as a
collection of individuals... to sing songs, visit friends, and get our simplistic "Jesus answers."

That went over like a lead balloon.

But I couldn't help myself. God hard-wired us to live in community with one another, and as such we are called to live together, worship our Lord and King together, and yes, interpret God's Word together... in the context of community. I'm all for doing personal devotions, but when we live with a "Jesus and Me" mentality, and the Bible itself becomes as or more important than the God who created the Bible... we have entered into the dangerous waters of bibliolatry.

The Bible is not an answer book... nor is it some kind of pseudo-god to be worshipped... it is a witness of the One True God to be explored... It is a living, Yahweh-ordained instrument that has the power to miraculously breathe life into our deadness. It doesn't merely provide (personal) answers to life... it does far more than that! It informs us of our hopeless state as a fallen creation. it invites us (corporately and personally) to repent of our sin... to accept the redemptive work of Yahweh, to relate to His Son, the Savior... to fully enter the Christ-life... to submit ourselves to the One who created us and desires to re-form our character, allow the Person of the Holy Spirit to fill us with His grace, and transform us into people of self-emptying, Christlike love.

The Bible, primarily utilizing a collection of interweaving stories (but also propositions) about the good, the bad, and the ugly in regards to humanity - has the power to lead us into the presence of the Holy One. As we live in relationship with our Lord, the Bible serves to shape us and mold us, and renew our mind... and ultimately... do what it promises to do... form us into the image of God... the communal God. The Bible,
like people... is relational-messy, utterly complex and often unpredictable... frankly, it transcends simple definition. To put scientific boundaries around that kind of power, and try to place it in a nice orderly box with lots of duct tape (and call it holy) is not only misguided, it is dangerous.

Oh man... now I have a lot of making up to do. The next time I visit my in-laws, somehow I'm going to have to convince them that I really do love the Bible... and I really am a follower of Jesus Christ... and seminary has in fact deepened my faith and trust in God, rather than turning me into a whacked-out, Bible-rejecting, Jesus-hating liberal! Perhaps next time I get into a discussion like this with folks I'll just keep my mouth shut and nod approvingly... NAH!

4 comments:

Eric Wright said...

OR...you can exchange seats with me and let me go at them for the two hour flight ;)

Great post! I love the way you present the idea and how you draw people in with the story. Good thoughts and good writing.

Jeff said...

Friend, I'll take the opinionated, yet willing candidate to debate matters of faith any day... and I'll leave the over-zealous, mean-spirited, holier-than-thou jerks for you to tangle with anytime!

I'll never quite forget that guy on the plane who absolutely knew he was right, and everyone else in the world who didn't precisely follow his fundamental views on the Christian faith were not only wrong... they were heretics! I was so impressed with your calm attitude and willingness to listen to his rantings and ravings. Shoot, you even put up a balanced thoughtful argument (too bad he never heard a word you said).

Sad to say, but it only took me about 20 minutes of that abuse before I put on my headphones and read whatever I could find in the seat pocket in front of me... even the air sickness bag looked pretty appealing compared to that spiritual pit-bull who quoted Bible verses and reformation era theologians like crazy... but never once demonstrated humility, respect, or (most certainly) love.

Shawna Atteberry said...

Jeff! Welcome to the world of blogging.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law.

Jeff said...

Thanks, Shawna... great to hear from you. Going back to Washington State was a bit of a double-edged sword. It was tough watching my brother and his kids greive the loss of the most important person in each of their lives - and yet wonderful to go "home" from there, and dream of starting a new kind of church in my hometown.

I'm finding that blogging is therapeutic and lots of fun... but I'll never find as much to write about as Eric!