Monday, February 19, 2007

Poor Joseph


I know it's not Christmas, but I read the account of Jesus' birth in Luke today. Funny thing... even though Joseph was the man of the house, it doesn't seem as though he got a whole lot of respect. Mary was the one to whom the angel Gabriel visited and gave such wonderful news about the coming of the Savior. As far as Luke is concerned, Joseph wasn't even told of this scandalous pregnancy, much less asked what he thought about it all. We have to go to Matthew's gospel to learn how Joseph was told... it wasn't even an angel, but a dream. Hmmmmm. And later, at the temple when Joseph and Mary were presenting Jesus to be circumcised, Simeon came up to them. Can you picture it...? An old man (devout and righteous, but probably scary looking nevertheless) comes up to Joseph and Mary - out of town visitors from Nazareth - takes the baby Jesus out of their arms, and proclaims that Jesus is the long-awaited Messiah. But then who did he turn to...? Joseph? Nope. Simeon turned to Mary and warned her that life as the mother of the Anointed One of God would not be easy.

Poor Joseph. He was the master of his household. Along with Mary, he had to endure the looks and whispers about marrying a woman who became pregnant before they were even married. More than likely he had to walk the whole way from Nazareth to Bethlehem to participate in the census (Mary was in no condition to walk). Mary is the one who was filled with the Holy Spirit, and who felt the child leap in her womb, and was called blessed, and who was inspired to break out into song. Poor Joseph was a bit player in the whole drama. It reminds me of the Charlie Brown Christmas. All the kids are excited about what they received in their stocking (caution: this is a vague memory at best... it's been a long time since I've watched A Charlie Brown Christmas). "I got some candy", "I got a popcorn ball"... and Charlie Brown sadly proclaims, "I got a rock."

It's almost as if God was preparing to radically redefine the customary social roles within Judaism. Rather than one step up from a piece of property or a slave, the gospels paint women in a whole new light. Think about it... It is a woman who brings the baby Jesus into the world (by the Holy Spirit, of course), women who become His disciples (no, not the disciples... but several women sat at the feet of their master, learning from him), women who came to embalm his body the day after he was crucified, and consequently, women were the first to see the resurrected Jesus. Hmmmm.

Yesterday, my wife and I enjoyed a nice dinner with a couple that essentially operates in a challenging, yet successful co-ministry together. They recognize that he brings certain gifts to the table, and she brings other, complementary gifts. Rather than a hierarchy, this marriage functions as a team... something I really desire for my wife and I as we prepare to enter full-time ministry. I can't imagine trying to do it with me as the man of the house, and her playing the role of quasi-servant. Oh, she doesn't share the same gifts or specific interests - for example, she would never want to preach - but without her, my ministry would be so limited and one-dimensional.

I guess what I'm saying is... I'm not ready to be Joseph and take a minor role in the unfolding saga of our emerging ministry (unless God demands that I do), but I'm thankful that through Joseph's rather obscure life with spiritual superstars like Mary and Jesus, God revealed the importance of women in His ongoing plan to redeem the world. He desires to bring His prodigal kids back home, and He'll use anyone who is willing to accept the call to serve Him.

No comments: