Friday, February 16, 2007

Open for Business


I wonder... why do people feel compelled to share their inner thoughts with others? After all, opening up and making yourself vulnerable to the world could lead to a whole lot of pain and regret... not to mention the dangerous whackos who lurk in the dark corners of cyberspace. On the other hand, we humans are deeply communal by nature, and we long to share our hearts with others we believe to be "safe." So to be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly certain why I opened Cafe Verona for business today... I suppose part of it was because my good friend Eric inspired me through his extremely consistent example. Part of it is because I have always wanted a good forum for writing a personal journal. Yes, I said personal... in a public kind of way (life is full of paradoxes). And finally, part if it is because the professor of my "Doctrine of Christian Holiness" class advised his students to keep a diary of their their journey of sanctification. Wow, now there's a big word that needs unpacking. It's an important one within my denomination... and yet, here I am three months from graduation and I still don't know exactly what it means. Scary.

Anyway, I suppose those are the primary reasons I set up shop with Cafe Verona. Yes, I know Starbucks spells it "Caffe" but Cafe Verona isn't a coffee, it's a place of my inner thoughts "loosely" based on my favorite coffee in the whole world! Ya, I know I'm a corporate sellout, but what can I say, I'm from Seattle, and live in Kansas City... home of Foldgers... 'nuff said!

One of my biggest problems with bloggers is that they either post very irratically, or they overwhelm us with six posts per day. Frankly, that doesn't do much for me except overload my Blog Reader. I think one posting per day would be a grand goal to acheive. However, I know myself better than that, and it's much more likely that I'll fall on the irratic side within a few days. Oh well, since I'm not planning to share Cafe Verona with too many folks, I'm sure no one will really notice if my blogging drops off the face of the earth.

If for some reason you are reading this post and you want to join me in my "private" spiritual journey, then by all means, pour yourself a cup of coffee (dark roast), pull up a chair, and join me! Your comments are welcome (unless they're really mean-spirited)... I love good conversation over a good cup of java!

1 comment:

Eric Wright said...

I get to be the first to post. It is good to see you taking this journey. Hopefully, it will be somewhere a little better than erratic.

As you begin this next part of your journey, the blog is such a great place to learn in front of others and to share vision with your church. Although, as you know, not everyone is as happy about reading a pastor's thoughts as others.