Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday

Biblical Text:  Mark 14:12-72

Today is Thursday of Holy Week. So what does that mean... what could that mean to us followers of Jesus 2000+ years after His crucifixion? Well, if nothing else, it's an opportunity for us to reflect on what happened that fateful night oh so long ago.

Reading the above passage in the gospel of Mark, I have a question I'd like to explore:  If Peter was ready to die for Christ, why wasn't he willing to live for Christ?
V. 31 - “No!” Peter declared emphatically. “Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!” And all the others vowed the same.

Vv. 71-72 - Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know this man you’re talking about!” And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.
   Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he broke down and wept.
I am so just like Peter, aren't you? We want to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength... but way too often we find that we don't love Him the same way He loves us. We want to reflect the light of Christ in this dark world... but way too often we find ourselves immersed in the same darkness that covers non-Christians. We want to stand for what is right... but when the going gets tough, we fall backwards and fail to stand at all.

Jesus went through so much for us. Not just the crucifixion itself, but coming to our world in the first place. Enduring hardship. Putting up with our refusal to draw near to God. Experiencing persecution. Suffering an agonizing death. So why do we so quickly deny Him with our words and actions? Why does the spirit of Peter... the spirit of cowardice permeate believers even to this day?
Don't know. But I'm glad Jesus went through with God's plan. I'm glad He's a forgiving God. I'm glad He stepped in through the gates of Hell, so that we don't have to. I'm glad He is faithful to humanity, even though humanity continuously fails to be faithful to Him. I'm glad God loves us even though we don't deserve it.

We are invited to dine at the table with Christ, and some of us plot his death. We are invited to pray with Him in the garden, and all of us scatter when danger comes. We are confronted about our relationship with Him, and most of us deny knowing Him. What a mess we are! What a fountain of grace He is!

No comments: