Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Jesus Junkie

This week's focus book(s) to read is: TITUS / PHILEMON


From Titus 1:1-3
 1 This letter is from Paul, a slave of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ. I have been sent to proclaim faith to those God has chosen and to teach them to know the truth that shows them how to live godly lives. 2 This truth gives them confidence that they have eternal life, which God—who does not lie—promised them before the world began. 3 And now at just the right time he has revealed this message, which we announce to everyone. It is by the command of God our Savior that I have been entrusted with this work for him.
That pretty much says it in a nutshell for me. I am a slave of Jesus Christ. And, by nature of my calling to ministry, am an apostle, "sent to proclaim faith to those God has chosen and teach them to know the truth that shows them how to live godly lives. This truth gives them confidence that they have eternal life, which God- who does not lie- promised them before the world began."


What is a more important role than that for a preacher? Ya, I know as a church-planter I am forced to wear a lot of hats... but frankly, I don't like that part of this job. I suck at administrative tasks... and people remind me of that often. Ya, I know paperwork is important. I know organization is necessary. I know communication is paramount. I know tasks have to be delegated. I know emails have to be answered and phone calls have to be returned, and websites need to be updated, etc., etc., etc.


But when it comes down to it... all I really want to do is two things: (1) spend time with God, listen to God, pray to God, serve God, cry out to God, and seek God's Word for wisdom and revelation... and (2) sit with people, talk with people, laugh with people, cry with people, pray with (and for) people, learn from people, debate with people (sometimes), wrestle with biblical issues with people... heck, sometimes even argue with people! All to accomplish one thing: to stand in the gap as a shepherd between God and the people of my flock to, "proclaim faith to those God has chosen and to teach them to know the truth that shows them how to live godly lives." And allow that truth to give them, "confidence that they have eternal life, which God—who does not lie—promised them before the world began."


You see, I believe in the message of salvation through Jesus Christ. I don't always act like a holy man... far from it. I'm a work in process. But nevertheless, I'm a legitimate, authentic sold-out Jesus Junkie... a nutjob for Christ who really and truly believes that...


1. God made us to be whole and good and eternal, but...


2. Individually and collectively, we all have chosen to rebel against God's boundaries. Consequently, the curse of sin that we invited into our world prevents us from living the fulness of life God originally intended, but...


3. God did not give up on us. Through Abraham He called a people, and...


4. Raised a nation. God spoke to them and blessed them, taught them, warned them, and promised to save everyone through their obedience to His law, but they could not live up to their high calling, so...


5. God did the craziest thing imaginable. The Son of God came to our world and obeyed for us vicariously... He lived a human life for us... died a sacrificial death for us... obeyed the Law for us, and was resurrected to fully and completely reveal the power and grace of the Father... all for our sake. Then He...


6. Established His Messianic presence right here on earth. With mercy and forgiveness we can't begin to imagine, through His Holy Spirit God continues to reveal Himself to those who live by faith and trust and obedience to His invitation to EVERYONE to become reconnected to eternity and therefore become whole again (holy), reflecting the gift of His love. Finally, He will...


7. Come again at the right time to fully and completely establish His kingdom. He will create a new heaven and a new earth, fusing the two together He will live among His people (His true disciples) who choose to love Him seek to be with Him for ever and ever and ever.


I know. Crazy, huh?

No comments: